Notes

This fragment is a ceramic archaeologists refer to as North Midlands/Staffordshire type slipware. The word “type” is used here to denote the fact that coarse, slip decorated wares were actually produced in several regions of England throughout the seventeenth and eighteenth century. One feature that unites these traditions is the technique of applying slip, or a very liquid clay, to the vessel for decoration. During production vessels would be formed on the wheel or a mold, allowed to dry to a leather hard state, and then dark brown and white slips might be applied in a variety of stylistic elements to the vessel before it was dipped into a clear lead glaze and fired.

The decorative elements often took advantage of the unique properties of slip. Perhaps most difficult to execute well, this vessel was decorated with a marbleized element. In this process both dark and light slips were applied to the vessel, then quickly while both were viscous the object was joggled to create a haphazard intermixing of the slips. The result was a marbleized surface when dry. The rims of these vessels were often further embellished with an impressed or molded “piecrust” or crenellated edge.

This fragment is from a flatware form, possibly a dish or plate. Such vessels likely would have been used for both the preparation and serving of food at the table. Slipware vessels were ubiquitous in eighteenth century homes and shops, and have been found at nearly every eighteenth century site at Mount Vernon.

The vessel's paste appears to be an agate of the traditional buff color and a slightly pinker clay. All measurements were taken from largest sherd.


Object Type


Has it Been Conserved?

No


Where Was It Found?

Project Site: House for Families    [more details]


Material

Coarse Earthenware


Vessel

Flat


Manufacturing Technology

Press Molded


Form

Unid: Tableware


Completeness

Body


Decorative Technology

Slip


Decorative Patern


Decorative Notes

Marbleized


Date

1675-1775


Country of Origin

England


Dimensions

25mm x 0.0000mm x 40mm (W x H x L)


Illustration shows object in comparison to the size of a quarter


Weight

3.4 gram(s)


Object Number

1722437. SS V.11

DAACS Number

1722437


Project: House for Families

The structure identified as the “House for Families” on the 1787 Vaughan plan likely housed the majority of the enslaved population living at the Mansion House Farm for much of the second half of the eighteenth century. The building was in existence from circa 1760 until it was demolished in late 1792 or early 1793. The archaeological evidence for the structure consisted of a brick-lined storage cellar (44FX762/40-47) measuring roughly six feet by six feet. Historically the cellar served as a handy trash receptacle once it ceased to be used for its original storage function, and through extensive excavation has yielded an extremely rich assemblage of household refuse. The analysis of these remains offers the opportunity to study important aspects of the daily lives of Mount Vernon's enslaved community.

See All Objects From this Dig

 


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Login
Buy Tickets What to Do Calendar Shop Restaurant Support Membership
Estate Hours

9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save