Notes

Large limestone inclusions.


Object Type


Has it Been Conserved?

No


Where Was It Found?

Project Site: House for Families    [more details]


Material

Coarse Earthenware


Vessel

Hollow


Manufacturing Technology

Wheel Thrown


Form

Unid: Utilitarian


Completeness

Body


Country of Origin

Indeterminate


Dimensions

60.89mm x 0.0000mm x 107.51mm (W x H x L)


Illustration shows object in comparison to the size of a quarter


Weight

61.6 gram(s)


Object Number

1721775. COEW V.1

DAACS Number

1721775


Project: House for Families

The structure identified as the “House for Families” on the 1787 Vaughan plan likely housed the majority of the enslaved population living at the Mansion House Farm for much of the second half of the eighteenth century. The building was in existence from circa 1760 until it was demolished in late 1792 or early 1793. The archaeological evidence for the structure consisted of a brick-lined storage cellar (44FX762/40-47) measuring roughly six feet by six feet. Historically the cellar served as a handy trash receptacle once it ceased to be used for its original storage function, and through extensive excavation has yielded an extremely rich assemblage of household refuse. The analysis of these remains offers the opportunity to study important aspects of the daily lives of Mount Vernon's enslaved community.

See All Objects From this Dig

 


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Login
Buy Tickets What to Do Calendar Shop Restaurant Support Membership
Estate Hours

9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save