Notes

Shallow circular groove on back, 3.32mm diameter, probably for attachment to back. Probably associated with a sleeve button or cufflink.


Object Type


Has it Been Conserved?

Yes


Where Was It Found?

Project Site: South Grove    [more details]


Material

Shell


Manufacturing Technology

Cut/Carved


Form

Unidentifiable


Shape

Round


Completeness

Incomplete


Date

18th century


Country of Origin

Indeterminate


Dimensions

mm x 2.27mm x 12.45mm (W x H x L)


Illustration shows object in comparison to the size of a quarter


Weight

0.5 gram(s)


Object Number

2736

DAACS Number

1694084


Project: South Grove

"Beginning in the summer of 1990, a multi-year investigation of the area known as the South Grove, situated just south of the Mansion and the associated kitchen, was initiated. The site was selected as the result of numerous 18th-century artifacts being found there over the years, combined with its high potential for yielding surface-deposited domestic refuse associated with the Washington household. In addition to providing information relating to the daily lives of the Washington Family, analysis of refuse associated with the plantation household would allow direct comparison with the material culture associated with African-American slaves excavated at the “House for Families” quarter.


An extensive sheet midden was partially revealed and tested in 1990, with two much larger portions exposed in 1991 and 1992. The midden was at least 30 feet in diameter and in excess of 1.5 feet in depth at its center. Excavations yielded enormous quantities of faunal remains, ceramics, wine bottle glass—including three different bottle seals—table glass, tobacco pipes, and a wide range of personal and household objects. Based on the materials recovered to date, the midden appears to have been deposited just prior to the American Revolution.


In addition to the midden, several subterranean brick drains also were revealed. Two of the drains apparently connect with the Mansion basement and with the kitchen larder, and date to a period of Construction and major renovation carried out in the 1770s. A third drain may be associated with the earlier kitchen, built before 1752 and demolished in 1775.
"

See All Objects From this Dig

 


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Login
Buy Tickets What to Do Calendar Shop Restaurant Support Membership
Estate Hours

9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save