William Triplett was a long-time neighbor and friend of George Washington. A self-employed brickmason from Truro Parish, Triplett was hired along with his brother to build the outbuildings in front of the mansion and the brick walls ("Pallisades") that ran from the mansion to the east and west front outbuildings in March of 1760.
Prior to this, Triplett helped remodel the mansion, doing both brickwork and plastering. Triplett was paid fifty-two pounds, eight shillings, and four pence in February of 1760 for this work. Triplett lived at Round Hill, located about four miles northwest of Mount Vernon, with his wife Sarah Peake Triplett.1