Spend a quiet morning exploring Mount Vernon's historic area. This special program includes self-guided exploration of the Historic Area and special activities a before the estate opens to the general public.
All guests attending the program will receive a sensory bag to support their visit, which will include a take-home craft, a manipulative, a hands-on take-home object, and other learning materials.
A program-specific social narrative and pre-visit information will be sent to guests prior to your visit.
Please note a take a break room will not be available.
||Explore the North Lane, Upper Garden, and architecture-themed activity stations.
||Mount Vernon opens to the public and activity stations close.
|9:00am & 9:15am
||Mansion Tour (optional) Please see more information below.
A limited number Mansion tours are available to Sensory Friendly Family Morning guests at 9:00am and 9:15am. To reserve a Mansion tour, please contact the Group Reservations office: firstname.lastname@example.org; 703.799.8688.
Due to COVID-19, the Mansion tour is different from past tours our guests may be familiar with. As your family decides as to whether the Mansion tour is the right fit for you, please note the following:
- The Mansion tour is a brief walk through of only the first floor of the Mansion
- There is no talking by the guide inside the Mansion during the tour. The tour guide will not answer questions while inside the house.
- Before and after the tour, the guide will provide information about the home and answer questions.
- Mount Vernon requires the use of face coverings when in indoor locations, such as the Mansion. Review our face covering policy here: https://www.mountvernon.org/plan-your-visit/reopening-information/
- Approximately 12 people are allowed inside the Mansion during a tour.
- Social Distancing: We ask guests to maintain 6-feet of social distancing. Signage is placed throughout the estate to remind guests.
- Facial Coverings: All guests and staff will be required to wear facial coverings both indoors and outdoors when social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Hand Sanitizer: We have installed hand sanitizer stations around the estate as well as signage promoting proper hygiene.
- Enhanced Cleaning: Mount Vernon's staff will provide regular enhanced cleaning in high touch areas throughout the day.
Learn more about safety measures on the estate.