2018 National History Day Theme:
Conflict and Compromise in History
National History Day is a project-based history competition for students grades 6 through 12. Students complete an individual or group project that relates to the year’s theme in one of five categories: Historical Paper, Website, Documentary, Exhibit, or Performance.
For more information about how to get started and rules, visit the National History Day contest page.
For more information about how to get started and videos for each entry type, visit National History Day Teacher Resources.
Looking for examples of past winning projects to show your students? Visit the National History Day Project Categories page for examples from every category. Remember, while overall presentation is important, the historical research and analysis carry the most weight in the judging process. This includes being historically accurate, analyzing information (not simply listing facts), placing the topic in historical context, using primary resources, and finding a wide array of sources.
Registration closes Tuesday, February 20, 2018.
To register click the "National History Day Virginia District 5 Registration" button above. Please Note: Registration typically takes up to 4 days to complete. Do not wait until the last minute!
- Recommended deadline for school competitions: FEBRUARY 15, 2018 This will give students ample time to make changes prior to the Virginia District 5 Deadline.
- Schools with more than 2 entries for any category should host a mini-competition to choose the top 2 or 3 entries that will register for the Virginia District 5 competition.
- Papers and websites are judged prior to the competition and must be completed and submitted by Thursday, February 22, 2018. Please see the Papers and Websites Registration section below for additional registration information.
- Exhibit, Performance, and Documentary entries have until the day of the competition to make changes.
- Documentaries must be submitted at the competition on DVD, CD, or USB and are non-returnable. Students will not be permitted to use personal laptops.
Paper and Website Submission Deadline
Papers and websites are judged prior to the competition and cannot be changed after the registration deadline. All entries competing in the Paper and Website categories must be completed and submitted by February 22, 2018.
- Papers Entries in the Paper category must be emailed to Virginia District 5 Coordinator, Michele Longo, at Michele.firstname.lastname@example.org by February 22, 2018.
- Websites Entries in the Website category must be published and the Weebly ID and password included in the online registration by February 22, 2018. Students will be locked out from making changes at midnight on February 24, 2018.
2018 Registration Fee: $10 per student due by Wednesday, February 28, 2018. One payment per school, please.
- All payments should include the school’s name, a list of students covered, and a note indicating it is for the Virginia District 5 National History Day Competition. All payments should be received prior to the competition.
- For Group Projects: All students in a group must register for a project to be considered during judging. Not all group members are required to be present at the competition.
- Checks should be made payable to the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association and mailed to: Mount Vernon Education Department, ATTN: District 5 NHD Competition, PO Box 3600, Mount Vernon, VA 22121
For more information or questions, please contact: Michele Longo, Virginia District 5 Coordinator, Michele.Longo@alexandriava.gov