Recipe courtesy of American Heritage Chocolate®, Historic Division of Mars.
Try American Heritage Chocolate
Enjoy the flavor and aroma of rich, full bodied and real hot chocolate the way George Washington would have enjoyed it. This all-natural, preservative free product is fashioned from an 18th century recipe using cinnamon, nutmeg and red pepper.
¼ cup whiskey
4 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup heavy cream
1 ½ cups American Heritage Chocolate Drink
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup American Heritage Chocolate Drink
¼ cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Bring whiskey and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cook until the sugar completely dissolves and the whiskey reduced by a third.
2. Add heavy cream and return this mixture to a boil. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate melts and blends with the cream and whiskey mixture. Add the butter and continue to stir until it blends with the chocolate.
3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and bring to room temperature, about an hour. Chill in a refrigerator for at least 5 hours or until ready to use.
Directions for Roll Truffles
1. Place remaining chocolate drink on a plate, set aside.
2. Combine the confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon, place on a plate and set aside.
3. Roll approximately a teaspoon of chocolate ganache into a round ball. Roll the ball in the chocolate drink or confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon until completely covered.
TIP: The chocolate ganache can be prepared up to two weeks in advance. Make the truffles just before enjoying.
Makes 36 truffles
Have You Made This?
Let us know how your recipe turned out