Recipe courtesy of American Heritage Chocolate®, Historic Division of Mars.
Try American Heritage Chocolate
Enjoy the flavor and aroma of rich, full bodied and real hot chocolate the way George Washington would have enjoyed it. This all-natural, preservative free product is fashioned from an 18th century recipe using cinnamon, nutmeg and red pepper.
6 ounce American Heritage Chocolate Block
1 tbsp. rice flour
3 tbsp. white sugar (or to taste)
5 medium egg yolks or 4 large
1 tbsp. whole milk
1 pint heavy cream
1 prepared, frozen 9 pie shell
Pinch of salt
1. Grate the chocolate into a bowl and set aside.
2. Combine salt, egg yolks, rice flour and milk in a separate bowl and set aside.
3. Pour all the cream and the chocolate into a sauce pan and heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Add the sugar and cook until both the sugar and the chocolate are melted.
4. Take a quarter of a cup of the hot mixture and slowly add to the egg yolk and rice flour mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk, to prevent scrambling.
5. Stir the warmed egg yolk mixture into the sauce pan and bring all the ingredients to a boil for about a minute. Set aside and allow it to cool to room temperature. While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. Pour the chocolate mixture into the frozen pie shell, set it upon a cookie sheet to prevent spillage and bake for 40-45 minutes, until set. Remove from oven and let it cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours, or overnight.
Have You Made This?
Let us know how your recipe turned out