Quick Facts

Condition: Reconstruction

Where is it Located

About the West Gate

Mount Vernon visitors in the 18th century first glimpsed the Mansion as they passed through the West Gate. It is approximately one mile from the West Gate to the Bowling Green Gate. Upon entrance, guests were provided with their first glimpse of the Mansion. The drive then meandered through the trees, eventually passed the Bowling Green Gate, circled around the stable to the South Lane, and joined the Mansion Circle.

The location of the West Gate is marked by two small white structures known as Porter's Lodges. These buildings were originally constructed in 1812 by Bushrod Washington, the General’s nephew who owned Mount Vernon from 1802 until 1829. The Porter's Lodges were reconstructed by the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association in the late 19th century.

Read About Archaeological Studies at the Porter's Lodges

Virtual Tour

Login
Buy Tickets Activities Calendar Shop Restaurant Give Membership
Estate Hours

9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save