Quick Facts

Condition: Replica

Where is it Located

About the Porter's Lodges

These two small, white structures were known as Porters’ Lodges and sit on either side of the West Gate, which was the original entrance to the Estate. They were originally constructed in 1812 by George Washington’s nephew, Bushrod Washington, who owned Mount Vernon from 1802 to 1829. Visitors wrote about how the lodge inhabitants opened the gate and received coins for their work. The porter is usually identified as an elder black man, though in 1834, an enslaved woman is mentioned, suggesting a family lived at the West Gate. The Porters’ Lodges were reconstructed by the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association in 1876.

Virtual Tour

Buy Tickets Activities Calendar Shop Restaurant Give Membership
Estate Hours

9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save