As the home and final resting place of General Washington, Mount Vernon is often sought after as the preferred site for special military ceremonies, including re-enlistments, promotions, and retirements.
While Mount Vernon’s mission is to preserve Washington’s iconic home and share his unparalleled legacy with the world, we will, whenever possible, allow men and women of the United States Armed Forces the special opportunity to hold brief military ceremonies on the estate.
To provide a positive experience for all of Mount Vernon’s guests, we ask groups to observe and adhere to the following guidelines:
- Military ceremonies should be reserved in advance through the Office of Events & Protocol by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. When making reservations, please provide your name, contact information, preferred date, preferred location, group size, and type of ceremony.
- Military ceremonies may take place prior to Mount Vernon’s public hours and should not exceed 30 minutes in length. Availability is limited and subject to change. Ceremonies are scheduled on a first come, first served basis.
- A donation of at least $50 is requested to cover facilitation costs, which is due upon arrival. General admission to the estate is not included. Groups will be escorted at all times by Mount Vernon staff. A designated staff member will greet the group near Mount Vernon’s main gate and escort the group onto the property once everyone has arrived. Free parking is available.
- Groups are limited to 20 people per ceremony.
- Ceremonies must take place in an area designated by Mount Vernon staff and must be appropriate for the historic and hallowed nature of Mount Vernon.
- Mount Vernon cannot provide electrical services, seating, transportation, or any other logistical support. Storage is not available. Sound equipment, instruments, banners (except the United States flag), decorations, chairs, and other props and furniture are not permitted. Food and beverage are not permitted. Please contact the Mount Vernon Inn at 703-780-0011 for information on receptions.
- Mount Vernon reserves the right to end or cancel a ceremony at any time.