2022 Applications for volunteering at Mount Vernon are currently closed.
The purpose of the volunteer program is to provide assistance to the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association in achieving its mission to preserve and protect the home and heritage of George Washington.
The program has been in existence for nearly 30 years and consists of about 300 active volunteers contributing their time and expertise in almost all of Mount Vernon’s departments.
- Must be 16 years or older.
- Must contribute at least 25 hours per year to remain active.
- Have a day, evening, and weekend assignment options depending on Mount Vernon department support requirements.
Benefits of being a Mount Vernon Volunteer:
- Learn a lot about Mount Vernon, the Washingtons, and life in America in the late 18th Century especially after interacting with our talented character interpreters.
- Apply the knowledge, skills, and abilities you have developed to enhance the Mount Vernon program and have an impact on families, youth, and schools who visit the estate.
- Learn a lot about yourself and latent talents you may have.
- Dress in period attire (if desired) to interact with and entertain visitors to the estate.
- Meet people with common interests.
- Help people from diverse backgrounds by introducing them to the many real and virtual opportunities and experiences available on the estate.
- Earn service and achievement recognition awards.
- Earn a discount card for use at The Shops at Mount Vernon.
- Receive discounted admission for family and friends.
- Receive discounts on food purchases at the Mount Vernon Inn and the Food Court.
- Know that you make a difference each day you are on the estate.