View Larger Dish

Label

The attractive reflective surface, durability, and affordability of pewter tablewares made them a mainstay in middling and upper class households throughout the eighteenth century. This dish is one of an extensive set of pewter owned by the Hopper family of Bergen County, New Jersey. During the Revolutionary War, George Washington frequently made his headquarters at the Andrew Hopper home, which was situated on a critical route from New York to Pennsylvania. In addition to providing shelter and meeting space to Washington and his staff, the Hopper family may have also served them meals on this pewter service, likely the most elegant goods at their disposal.

Description

Pewter dish with shallow well; single beaded edge; hammered bouge.

Date

c. 1770-1793


People


Geography


Material/Technique

Pewter


Dimensions

Overall: 1 in. x 12 3/8 in. x 12 3/8 in. (2.54 cm x 31.45 cm x 31.45 cm)


Credit Line

Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Joseph E. Fields, 1998


Marks

On the underside of the well, near the top is a secondary mark, stamped twice and only partially legible, seemingly depicting a city scene with the word "London" in a curved reserve above.

On the underside of the well, in a line, are four pseudo hallmarks: "B&Co" within a rectangle with outlined and beaded upper and lower borders; Britannia within a rectangle; rose in rectangle with canted corners; lion rampant.


Object Number

W-3945/8


Colors (Beta)


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Logout
Buy Tickets What to Do Calendar Shop Restaurant Support Membership
Estate Hours

9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save