View Larger Dish

Label

The attractive reflective surface, durability, and affordability of pewter tablewares made them a mainstay in middling and upper class households throughout the eighteenth century. This dish is one of an extensive set of pewter owned by the Hopper family of Bergen County, New Jersey. During the Revolutionary War, George Washington frequently made his headquarters at the Andrew Hopper home, which was situated on a critical route from New York to Pennsylvania. In addition to providing shelter and meeting space to Washington and his staff, the Hopper family may have also served them meals on this pewter service, likely the most elegant goods at their disposal.

Description

Pewter dish with shallow well; impressed decorative border around edge of obverse and reverse; hammered bouge.

Date

c. 1760-1790


People


Geography


Material/Technique

Pewter


Dimensions

Overall: 1 3/16 in. x 13 3/8 in. x 13 3/8 in. (3.02 cm x 33.97 cm x 33.97 cm)


Credit Line

Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Joseph E. Fields, 1998


Marks

On the underside of the well are three marks: Touchmark with the name "R[obert]/ Porteous" surrounding an ostrich within a circle; quality mark of crowned Tudor rose within a circle surrounded by the words "M[ade] In/ L[ondon]"; secondary mark with the words "[Grace Church]/ Stree[t Lond]on" enclosed in a rectangular cartouche with foliate scrolls.


Object Number

W-3945/6


Colors (Beta)


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Logout
Buy Tickets What to Do Calendar Shop Restaurant Support Membership
Estate Hours

9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save