Label

This towering looking glass caught President George Washington’s eye while at the handsome New York mansion of the Comte de Moustier, the visiting French envoy to the United States. After Moustier was recalled to France in October 1789, Washington rented his former residence and purchased a sizable quantity of his furnishings, including this glass and its mate. The pair later hung in the Green Drawing Room of the Philadelphia executive residence and, after Washington’s retirement from the presidency in 1797, in the two-story New Room, which functioned as a formal dining room, entertaining space, and art gallery.

Description

Vertical, rectangular, looking glass composed of two pieces of glass within a carved and gilded Neoclassical or Louis XVI entablature frame with a fillet and cable or ribbon-and-stick at its outer edge, a recessed center frieze, and a fillet and beading along its inner edge.
The mitered joints of the frame are reinforced with screws. The frame appears to be formed from three layers, including an applied molding, a center section with a concave half-round that protrudes from the sides, and a tertiary wood support. Three rectangular through tenons are visible on each outside long edge of the frame.

Date

c. 1788


Geography


Material/Technique

Basswood (primary), yellow pine (secondary), gilt, gesso, glass


Dimensions

Overall (H x W x D): 81 1/4 in. x 43 in. (206.38 cm x 109.22 cm)


Credit Line

Purchase, 1939


Object Number

W-28


Colors (Beta)


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to Do Calendar Shop Restaurant Support Membership
Estate Hours

9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save