Label

George Washington purchased these candlestands for £ 3.10 on December 2, 1759 from the Scottish cabinetmaker James Allan of Fredericksburg, Virginia. Rising from an ingenious combination of C-scrolls and acanthus leaves, these fashionable stands enabled candles to be elevated and placed around the room for illumination. Washington would likely have utilized them in the West Parlor or Small Dining Room at Mount Vernon, the showpieces of his newly expanded and renovated home. They were placed in the New Room after its completion in 1788 and continued in use until Washington's death in 1799.

Description

Mahogany candlestand; hexagonal top with triple laminated fretwork gallery along all sides supported on a central stem composed of a series of C-scrolls with a tripod base; stem is composed of three short C scrolls which support a triangular platform on which rises three attenuated C-scrolls each with acanthus leaves carved at their base, which in turn support another triangular platform upon which rises three C-scrolls, joined at their backs and base with carved acanthus drapes, that support the final hexagonal platform; at each section of the stem, smaller C-scrolls frame the openings between the three members; the base of the stem is ornamented with a carved acanthus with a central cabochon and bell flower drop on all three sides; three S-curving legs with scroll feet.

Date

1759


People


Geography


Material/Technique

Mahogany


Dimensions

Overall: 48 in. x 20 5/8 in. x 21 1/2 in. (121.92 cm x 52.39 cm x 54.61 cm)

52.4 cm1.2 m54.6 cm

* Object size compared to a tennis ball


Credit Line

Gift of Hugh Campbell and brothers, 1887


Object Number

W-1/B


Colors (Beta)


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save