Label

This glass decanter is likely part of a thirteen-bottle set George Washington used to store his personal supply of liquors during the Revolutionary War. Its double walled body served the practical purpose of protecting the bottles from breakage during travel, while the wheel-engraved decoration speaks to the decanter's use as an object for entertaining.

Description

Colorless glass case bottle; half-post dip-molded rectangular body with rounded corners, horizontal shoulders, and an unground, cylindrical neck terminating in a rounded trail string rim; engraved decoration on the shoulders, face, rear, and sides of the bottle: series of dots along the shoulders with a circular flower, stem, leaves, and a series of circular drops at each corner; left-facing tulip with lobed leaves and four lily-of-the-valley flower buds on the face and rear; a sprig of three lily-of-the-valley flower buds and leaves on the sides; unground pontil mark on base.

Date

1750-1815


Geography


Material/Technique

Glass


Dimensions

Overall (H x W x D): 9 1/8 in. x 4 5/16 in. x 2 7/8 in. (23.18 cm x 10.95 cm x 7.3 cm)


Credit Line

Purchase, 1950


Object Number

W-1591/A


Colors (Beta)


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save