Family history maintains Abigail McLean of Wilmington, Delaware purchased a set of eight Gothic-splat side chairs at Mount Vernon in the 1850s, with the understanding they had been owned by George and Martha Washington. Daniel Lammot, also of Wilmington, later purchased four of these eight chairs, three of which have since returned to Mount Vernon. Whether or not the Washingtons originally owned them remains to be proven.
See also chairs W-1464/B and W-4180.
Side chair with a foliate-carved, undulating or scalloped crest rail and circular, foliate-carved ears, an interlaced Gothic strapwork splat seated within a beaded shoe, a trapezoidal seat frame with rounded top edges and flat-arched side and front rails, and plain cabriole front legs with arissed knees, ogee knee blocks, and claw-and-ball feet. Flat-faced, pierced splat with six ribs of interlaced Gothic tracery above a quatrefoil with a pointed base and two opposing leaf piercings. Crest rail and stiles with a single bead along their outside edge. Raked-back stiles flat on front and rounded at back with double-pegged through tenons and oval legs and feet below the seat rail. Four filled holes in lower rear rail illustrate where a copper plaque was formerly affixed.
Reproduction ethafoam slip-seat upholstered in pale blue (now faded to white) silk damask with a central palm-tree pattern.
Mahogany (primary), white cedar (glue blocks)
Overall (H x W x D): 38 in. x 23 5/8 in. x 20 5/8 in. (96.52 cm x 60.01 cm x 52.39 cm)
Bequest of Mrs. Pierre S. Du Pont, 1945
Inscribed into the top of the front seat rail: "II".
Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here