Label

The traditional form of this storage jar indicates it originally carried olive oil from the Mediterranean to Virginia in the eighteenth century. Olive oil was a principal ingredient in hard and soft soap, and it seems no coincidence that, according to family history, George and Martha Washington used this as a soap jar. It is one of two surviving jars that were likely among the “8 Stone soap jarrs” recorded in the “Soap Cellar” on the inventory taken after Martha Washington’s death.

See also W-2362.

Description

Small-mouthed, ovoid (or reverse baluster), glazed earthenware jar with everted rim semi-circular lug handles and flat foot. There is an inner ledge in the mouth which suggests there was a lid. Under the lug handles are oval-shaped medallions. These medallions have a small oval shaped impression, monogrammed with “CC” and topped with a hatched crest, which is within a larger oval with hatched markings. These medallions, however, are not very distinct. There is no evidence of a glaze on the outside of the jar but in the inside there are remnants of a glaze.

see also 43-1 alternate MVLA object number


Date

1760-1800


Geography


Material/Technique

Earthenware (glazed)


Dimensions

Overall (H x W x D): 31 1/2 in. x 24 in. x 22 1/2 in. (80.01 cm x 60.96 cm x 57.15 cm)


Credit Line

Gift of Emily Boyce Mackubin, 1943


Marks

Small oval shaped impression, monogrammed with “CC” topped with a hatched crest that is within a larger oval with hatched markings. These markings, however, are not very distinct.


Object Number

W-1309


Colors (Beta)


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to Do Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save