This document is a notice of the sale of the Clifton land on May 20, 1760, signed by the commissioners, George William Fairfax, George Washington, and Charles Green. On the same page appears a copy, in Washington's handwriting, of the statement of John West Jr., Sheriff of Fairfax, that this notice has been read "in the most public place in the Town of Alexandria this day." On the verso, also in Washington's hand, is a form of acknowledgement signed by William Digges, dated June 17, 1760.
For other documents on this topic see A-680.1, A-680.2 and A-680.6.
ADS (Autograph Document Signed) One page with text on recto and verso. The page has been silked and the silking is slightly larger than the document and ½ inch of the silking at the left edge has been folded under against the verso of the document. Round watermark, center of sheet. Similar to Gravell, Foreign Watermarks 290, 294, and 302. As a result of silking, the watermark is extremely difficult to make out.
Ink, laid paper
Overall (silking): 11 7/8 in. x 7 5/8 in. (30.16 cm x 19.37 cm)
Other (image): 11 7/8 in. x 7 3/8 in. (30.16 cm x 18.73 cm)
Verso, right edge, on second of four pieces, written vertically, in brown ink: Proceedings / of the Commissioners / in the Said / Clifton [indecipherable] Carroll + / others
Recto, center left, in brown ink: Go Washington
Recto, center right, in brown ink: GW Fairfax / G Washington / Ch. Green
Recto, bottom left corner, in brown ink: Go Washington
Recto, bottom right corner, in brown ink: John West Sheriff of Fairfax / City. also one of [indecipherable] Com. nam / in the Decree.
Verso, upper left, below text, in brown ink: GW Fairfax
Verso, upper right, below text, in brown ink: W. Digges
Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here