A primary source worksheet for students focused on using place as a primary source. Students will explore Samuel Vaughan's 1787 map of Mount Vernon to gain a better understanding of George Washington and the 18th-century world in which he lived.
- Students will analyze a map of George Washington's Mount Vernon created by Samuel Vaughan.
- Students will practice using historical thinking skills to answer questions using evidence from the document to support their conclusions.
- Students will recognize how place can be used as a primary source.
- Reading and Writing Literacy in History/Social Studies
- Reading Informational Texts
- Developing Research Skills
Samuel Vaughan's 1787 Drawing of Mount Vernon can be accessed in the ZIP file download or in Mount Vernon's Collections Online.