A lesson that explores the creation of the Purple Heart military decoration, known during the American Revolution as the Badge of Military Merit. Students explore the historical and modern significance of this award created by George Washington.
- Students will research the origins of the Purple Heart and its modern use.
- Students will present to the class personal stories of friends, family members, and/or recipients who have received the Purple Heart.
- Students will create their own medal for the armed forces with accompanying essay explain their design choices and the award criteria.
- Reading and Writing Literacy in History/Social Studies
- Developing Research Skills
- Evaluating Data
- Speaking and Listening
- American Revolution