A lesson that uses George Washington’s list of enslaved people from 1799 to reveal him as a meticulous businessman and slave owner. Students will explore information related to the institution of slavery in the 18th century.
- Students will practice historical thinking skills and primary source analysis to gain a deeper understanding of slave life at Mount Vernon.
- Students will gain knowledge about individuals enslaved at Mount Vernon in the 18th century.
- Reading and Writing Literacy in History/Social Studies
- Primary Source Analysis
- Evaluating Data
- Developing Research Skills
- Speaking and Listening
- Colonization and Settlement