A lesson that uses George Washington’s list of enslaved people from 1799 to understand enslavement at Mount Vernon. Students will explore information related to the institution of slavery in the 18th century.
- Students will practice historical thinking skills and primary source analysis to gain a deeper understanding of slave life at Mount Vernon.
- Students will gain knowledge about individuals enslaved at Mount Vernon in the 18th century.
- Reading and Writing Literacy in History/Social Studies
- Primary Source Analysis
- Evaluating Data
- Developing Research Skills
- Speaking and Listening
- Colonization and Settlement