A lesson asking students to investigate and analyze the historical context of the Revolutionary War song, Yankee Doodle. As a culminating activity, students are asked to create their own additional verses about George Washington to the tune of the song.
- Students will analyze the life of George Washington and identify 5-10 major events in his life.
- Students will analyze verses of Yankee Doodle and their relationship to the American Revolution and founding of the United States of America
- Students will compare/contrast major events in Washington’s life with verses from Yankee Doodle
- Students will create additional verses about George Washington’s life to the tune of Yankee Doodle
- Reading and Writing Literacy in History/Social Studies
- Speaking and Listening
- Developing Research Skills
- Colonial America
- Revolution and the New Nation