The Balustrade was constructed in the early 19th century by George Washington's nephew, Judge Bushrod Washington. Originally the wooden railing had nine Chinese panels supported by square posts and was painted white. It was restored in 1860 when the Mount Vernon Ladies Association also repaired the Piazza. Later, in 1876, the balustrade was completely rebuilt, this time using seven panels instead of nine. Because the balustrade was not part of the original design of the mansion it was removed in 1936 and pieces of it still remain in our architectural artifact collection.