The Blacksmith Shop, located along Mount Vernon’s North Lane, was essential to the operation of the plantation and an important part of George Washington’s business on the plantation and off. Documentary records indicate that as early as 1755 a blacksmith shop was located approximately 200 feet north of the Mount Vernon Mansion. Today, the Shop itself does not survive but letters, account ledgers and other writings provide historical background about the identities of the blacksmiths, the work they performed and tools purchased for the Shop. Very little written evidence talks about the appearance of the Shop, its layout or size. Therefore, archaeological excavations have proven valuable in providing these details.