The slave burial ground is marked by a memorial to honor the slaves who lived and worked at Mount Vernon. The land was used as a cemetery for slaves and free blacks who worked for the Washington family during the 18th century and the first half of the 19th century. The graves are unmarked and the identities and numbers of those buried there are largely unknown, although William Lee, George Washington’s personal servant during the Revolutionary War, is known to be buried at the site.
The Slave Memorial was designed and built in 1983 by Howard University architecture students. The granite column, on top of three circles with the words faith, hope and love engraved on them, is adjacent to a 1929 Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association marker noting the site of the slave burial ground.