George Washington was appointed general and commander in chief of the Continental forces on June 16, 1775, and on March 11, 1776, a special corps was created to assist and protect him. The infantry of the commander in chief’s guard, or “The Life Guard,” was responsible for insuring the safety of the commander in chief, protecting his papers and personal effects, and guarding army headquarters. The cavalry division accompanied Washington on marches, served as scouting patrols, and delivered the General’s orders to various military posts. With the war almost over, Washington’s Guard was disbanded on June 6, 1783 and one of their final assignments was the delivery of Washington’s personal papers to Mount Vernon.
Today, the Old Guard is stationed at Fort McNair in Washington, D.C. and appears at many Mount Vernon events.
The original design of the commander in chief’s guard uniform of a blue coat faced in buff with a red waistcoat is replicated here in this complex, four-color silk screening.
The T-shirt, 50% pre-shrunk cotton and 50% polyester, is available in small (6-8) for young children and large (14-16) for ages 10 and up.
Complete your revolutionary outfit with a tri-corner hat, a revolutionary freedom pistol, and a colonial powder horn!