Receive exclusive offers and promotions from The Shops at Mount Vernon.
George Washington - The Hunt Sculpture
George Washington imported a number of hounds from England in 1770 and then in 1785, he received French foxhounds from the Marquis de Lafayette. These hounds, carefully bred and maintained by Washington, are the founders of today’s American Foxhound. Washington noted that he wanted to breed “a superior dog, one that had speed, sense and brains.” Among Washington’s nearly thirty canine companions were Sweet Lips, Tipsy, Tipler, Cloe, Searcher, Drunkard, and the enormous Vulcan.
This resin sculpture celebrating George Washington and his hounds is 5” tall on an oval base that is 5” x 3 ¾”.