In 1784, the Virginia legislature passed a resolution to have a statue of George Washington made for the state capitol in Richmond. Jean-Antoine Houdon, the foremost French portrait sculptor, was chosen.
Advised of Houdon’s arrival in America, September 1785, Washington invited him to Mount Vernon where the master sculptor took detailed measurements of Washington’s body and closely studied his movements and expressions. Before departing, Houdon cast a terra cotta bust of Washington and presented it to him as a gift.
Houdon completed Washington’s statue in 1792. It still adorns the rotunda of Virginia’s Capitol. Houdon’s bust of Washington remains at Mount Vernon, as it has for over 200 years.
The resin magnet representing the Houdon bust is 2” x 2 ¾”. Magnet is presented on a heavy card which includes historical information.