This bell may have been among those that the workman Thomas Fenton installed at Mount Vernon in 1788. The Washingtons relied on skilled slaves as well as white overseers and servants to ensure that the estate ran with efficiency. The house bell system enabled the Washingtons to call slaves and servants to various rooms of the mansion when needed. More

Date

c. 1784 - 1788


Geography


Material/Technique

Copper alloy, iron


Dimensions

Overall (H x W x D): 9 5/8 in. x 5 1/8 in. x 6 1/8 in. (24.46 cm x 13.03 cm x 15.57 cm)
Other (Bell): 3 3/4 in. x 2 5/8 in. x 2 5/8 in. (9.53 cm x 6.68 cm x 6.68 cm)
Other (Coil): 7 1/2 in. x 5 1/8 in. x 6 1/8 in. (19.05 cm x 13.03 cm x 15.57 cm)


Credit

Transferred to the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association through the generosity of John Augustine Washington III, 1860
Conservation courtesy of Harry and Erika Lister


Object Number

W-976


Colors


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save