Commonly set between two windows and in front of a "pier glass" or mirror, pier tables were ideally suited for entertaining in the parlor or dining room. Its marble top, impervious to liquid, offered an attractive and resilient surface from which drinks and food could be served. Family tradition maintains that this pier table was owned by George Washington.


Marble-top, ovolo-corner, rectangular pier table on four, square, tapering legs reeded on their pilasters and exterior faces. Mahogany-veneered frame with an applied bead along bottom front and side edges; its solid straight front and side rails are screwed to bowed corner rails with four horizontal laminations, the side rails are tenoned to the straight solid rear rail. No evidence of internal bracing or support for top.

Conforming grey marble top with squared edges.





Mahogany (legs, veneer), yellow poplar (corner rails), black walnut (front rail, side rails), white pine (rear rail), marble


Overall: 36 3/4 in. x 41 in. x 20 3/4 in. (93.35 cm x 104.14 cm x 52.71 cm)

Credit Line

Gift of Mrs. J. Scott Laughton, Regent and Vice Regent for Pennsylvania, 1891

Object Number


Colors (Beta)

Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save