In the early nineteenth century, pincushions provided a safe repository for straight pins that were otherwise easily lost and painfully found. Decorative examples were frequently given as gifts or chosen by instructresses to display the ornamental skills acquired by their young female pupils. Though only portions of its show cover and trimmings survive, the top of this cushion was originally fully covered in white silk, with tassels added at each corner and metallic trim around its sides. The embroiderer carefully shaded the design to capture the fresh beauty of loosely gathered flowers.
More

Date

1800-1830


Geography


Material/Technique

Silk, linen, copper alloy


Dimensions

Overall: 6 1/4 in. x 4 5/8 in. x 2 3/8 in. (15.88 cm x 11.76 cm x 6.05 cm)


Credit

Gift of Mrs. W. G. Rice and Mrs. Bertie Pruyn Hamlin, 1912


Object Number

W-616


Colors


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save