Following George Washington's election to the presidency in 1789, Congress moved quickly to procure and furnish a suitable dwelling for him in New York City, the nation's first capital. This stately side chair is one of sixty-eight supplied by Thomas Burling as part of a large quantity of "Mahogany Furniture" for the executive residence. Burling, a Quaker cabinetmaker who retailed New York and Philadelphia-made furniture in his Beekman Street "Ware Room," provided pieces in the newly-fashionable neoclassical or Federal taste, and in the older rococo or Chippendale patterns. This chair's styling - with cabriole legs, ball-and-claw feet, and a lively Gothic-style splat - remained popular for decades. Martha Washington approved of the resulting mix of furniture styles, and declared the President's house was "handsomely furnished all new for the General." More

Date

1775-1785


People


Geography


Material/Technique

Mahogany, white cedar, yellow pine


Dimensions

Overall: 37 5/8 in. x 24 1/4 in. x 21 3/8 in. (95.57 cm x 61.6 cm x 54.29 cm)


Credit

Purchased by the Friends of the Collection, 1999


Object Number

W-4116


Colors


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save