The Washingtons, like other eighteenth-century Americans, purchased straight pins imported from England. Expensive and difficult to produce, they came in a variety of sizes intended for different purposes. These four common or "middling" examples were used for fastening one's clothing or for sewing. In the eighteenth-century, women typically stored pins in cloth needle books and pin cushions, these pins were discovered in a snuff box believed to have been owned by Martha Washington.

See also snuff box, W-2776/A. More

Date

1730-1830


Geography


Material/Technique

Brass, tin


Dimensions

Overall (H x W x D): 1 3/16 in. x 1 1/16 in. x 1 1/16 in. (3.02 cm x 2.7 cm x 2.7 cm)


Credit

Purchased by the A. Alfred Taubman Acquisition Endowment Fund and partial gift of an anonymous donor, 2004


Object Number

W-2776/B.2


Colors


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save