This diminutive ladle was used to serve cream or sugar in coffee or tea. It arrived at Mount Vernon in late 1784 with other English plated tea and coffee wares George Washington had requested. Each piece was engraved with his crest. Guests to Mount Vernon took notice of these fashionable Neoclassical imports. One visitor in June 1796, offered tea at the usual hour of seven in the evening, described "the large and magnificent Portico at the back of the house where the tea equipage was paraded in order."


Ladle with oval bowl, pointed on one end with a flared pouring lip opposite. Rounded, downturned handle with beaded edge. Engraved on front of handle with George Washington's crest: a griffin rising (facing the viewer's left) from a coronet with three strawberry leaves.


c. 1784



Fused silverplate on copper


Overall: 3/4 in. x 5 5/8 in. x 1 1/2 in. (1.91 cm x 14.29 cm x 3.81 cm)

Credit Line

Purchase, 1975

Object Number


Colors (Beta)

Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save