Vertical, rectangular, fret-sawn and veneered looking glass with a gilded fruit-filled urn finial affixed at center of the broken scroll crest, upper and lower brackets with cusped scrolls and supports, and a scrolled base with cusped lunette at center. Bead and ogee-molded frame with indented top corners has a gouge-carved, gilded liner surrounding the silvered glass. The side edges of the frame, between the brackets, are veneered.

The frame members are tenoned together at the corners and pegged. The crest consists of two boards of horizontal grain, the lowest of which is butted against the top of the frame. The crest is reinforced by three vertical braces screwed into the boards and two horizontal glue blocks, one above each end of the top of the frame. The base is a single board butted against the edge of the frame. This joint is reinforced by two horizontal glue blocks. A ghost mark denotes where a vertical brace was glued behind the central drop. The scrolled brackets are glued to the frame's sides, and each joint is reinforced by a thin rectangular brace. The backboard is composed of four horizontal boards and is held in the frame with nails. Hanging wires are tied to ring loops at the upper back of each side. An iron bracket is screwed to the center back of the top of the frame.

The top half of the crest, with the broken scroll crest and gilded finial, is a replacement, likely added by William L. Washington in the early twentieth century.

Date

1750-1780


Geography


Material/Technique

Mahogany veneer (primary), gilt, gesso, glass


Dimensions

Overall (H x W x D): 53 3/16 in. x 24 7/8 in. x 2 1/2 in. (135.1 cm x 63.18 cm x 6.35 cm)
Other (weight): 14 lb. (6.35 kg)


Credit

Gift of Mr. and Mrs. John Green Hayes Jr., in memory of his parents, 1965


Object Number

W-2457


Colors


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save