Like their contemporaries, George and Martha Washington used attractive, durable, and relatively inexpensive Windsor chairs in a variety of spaces. The household inventory taken after George Washington died records 30 placed outside on the Mansion's piazza, with another 10 in a first-floor parlor and 5 more in two upstairs bedrooms. This chair may be one of those owned by the Washingtons. Mrs. Washington's grandson, George Washington Parke Custis, later used it at his home, Arlington House. When Union troops threatened to confiscate it during the Civil War, a neighbor and free African-American, William Syphax, took possession of it. His descendants presented it to the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association. More

Date

1785-1815


Geography


Material/Technique

Tulip poplar (seat), red maple (leg), paint


Dimensions

Overall (H x W x D): 36 5/8 in. x 19 5/8 in. x 18 in. (93.03 cm x 49.85 cm x 45.72 cm)


Credit

Bequest of Mary Gibson Hundley, 1986


Object Number

W-2400


Colors


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save