George Washington first ordered "A Fishing Case for the Pocket - properly furnished with Line &ca" from London in 1762, but as hooks were lost and lines broken in pursuit of a catch, he likely replaced its contents. Among the surviving fishhooks associated with Washington's tackle box are several stamped "IS" on the flatted shank, the mark of London fishhook and needle makers Charles Iverson & Henry Stone, who were in business from 1790-1817. Washington may have purchased these hooks from a retailer who catered to the needs of gentleman anglers.


Fish hook with flatted shank and single barb at point; maker's mark "S" is stamped on reverse of flatted shank.


c. 1790-1817




Iron alloy, japanning


Overall (H x W x D): 2 7/8 in. x 1 in. x 3/16 in. (7.32 cm x 2.54 cm x 0.48 cm)

Credit Line

Gift of Camille E. Bryan, 1958


"S" stamped on reverse of spade end

Object Number


Colors (Beta)

Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save