Traffic Advisory: The GW Parkway will be closed on Sunday from 6AM - 11AM. DIRECTIONS

View Larger

This classically inspired lamp represents state-of-the-art lighting technology in late-eighteenth and early-nineteenth century America. The urn-shaped body serves as the oil reservoir that feeds a tubular wick held between two concentric metal tubes. The patented design by inventor François-Pierre Aimé Argand dramatically improved airflow and produced a bright flame equal to ten candles. Impressed with their performance, George Washington purchased well over a dozen Argand-type lamps for the presidential mansion.

See also Argand lamp, W-2138/A.1-A.3.

Description

B1:
Brass urn-shaped Argand-type lamp font with a fluted bowl, Greek-key ornamented shoulder, and enclosed top with two openings for the lever arm and central burner; the whole is set upon a hollow, pierced, and flared base.

B2:
Copper and tin-coated brass tube; a vertical gap runs the length of the tube, the gap once accommodated the arm from a second internal tube and lever (now missing) used to raise and lower the wick; the top lip is enclosed, from which extends an arm to allow its easy removal from the font; an iron ring is soldered into the interior of the butt end.

B3:
Circular brass ring affixed to a pierced base; short shoulders cradle the cylindrical glass chimney.

Date

1790-1810


Geography


Material/Technique

Brass, tin, copper, iron, glass


Dimensions

Overall (H x W x D): 10 in. x 3 7/8 in. x 3 7/8 in. (25.4 cm x 9.84 cm x 9.84 cm)


Credit Line

Purchase, 1956


Object Number

W-2138/B


Colors (Beta)


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save