Family tradition maintains George and Martha Washington used this stand at Mount Vernon, but whether it represents one or more original Washington pieces is the subject of ongoing research. Careful examination reveals its top and pillar were joined at a later date, and the legs have at least been shortened, if not replaced. In the eighteenth century, small stands with tilt-tops were employed anywhere a flat surface was needed - to hold a candle, write a letter, or take a cup of tea. More

Date

1750-1800, with later alterations


Geography


Material/Technique

Mahogany, brass


Dimensions

Overall (H x W x D): 29 1/2 in. x 19 1/8 in. x 19 1/8 in. (74.93 cm x 48.59 cm x 48.59 cm)


Credit

Gift of Major Burr Noland, 1875


Object Number

W-196


Colors


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save