Glass enclosed lanterns with ornate housings provided the ideal means for lighting drafty passages in eighteenth-century homes. In 1760, George Washington ordered "1 handsome glass Lanthorne for Passage - wt. Lamps & 10 Gals. Oyl" from his London factors. Though the Chippendale style of the lantern he received in 1761 had become outmoded by the 1780s, the lantern remained in the central passage at Mount Vernon until Washington's death. Each time Washington updated the finish and furnishings of the room, the lantern received a new coat of paint, changing from black to Prussian blue in 1783, and returning to black in the 1790s. More

Date

c. 1760-1761


People


Geography


Material/Technique

Tinned sheet iron, brass, paint, glass


Dimensions

Overall: 18 in. x 12 in. x 12 in. (45.72 cm x 30.48 cm x 30.48 cm)


Credit

Gift of Miss Mary Custis Lee, 1915


Object Number

W-15


Colors


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save