In 1961, First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy expressed her “deepest appreciation” to the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association for the loan of this looking glass to the White House as a part of the campaign to refurnish it with historically significant antiques. This may not have been the first occasion upon which it graced the halls of state. According to family tradition, it once hung in the executive mansion in Philadelphia during George Washington’s presidency. It is one of two mirrors with a Washington association that descended in the Peale family.

See also W-291.
More

Date

1750-1780


Geography


Material/Technique

Walnut veneer (primary), gilt, gesso, glass


Dimensions

Overall (H x W x D): 57 1/2 in. x 29 1/2 in. x 17 1/2 in. (146.05 cm x 74.93 cm x 44.45 cm)


Credit

Purchased with funds donated by the Detroit Mount Vernon Society, 1891


Object Number

W-106


Colors


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save