The fraternal order of the Freemasons is a philosophical society of civic-minded gentlemen who perpetuate their beliefs through allegory, symbols, and the artisan-implements of the guild from which they are derived. From 1782 to 1788, the Alexandria Lodge, No. 39, conducted their meetings in local taverns. Members, such as George Washington, enjoyed refreshments that were served throughout the ceremony and the meal that often followed. Perhaps Washington's libation was once poured from this decanter and served in a matching firing glass. The decanter features the lodge's name on one side and the compass and square - the central symbols of freemasonry's core tenants of reason and faith - on the other.

See also firing glass, M-3881/C. More

Date

c. 1783-1788


Geography


Material/Technique

Glass


Dimensions

Overall (A): 9 13/16 in. x 4 1/2 in. x 4 1/2 in. (24.92 cm x 11.43 cm x 11.43 cm)
Overall (B): 3 in. x 1 1/2 in. x 1 1/2 in. (7.62 cm x 3.81 cm x 3.81 cm)


Credit

Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Drury B. Crawley, IV, 1995


Marks

A:
On the front wall of the decanter is the engraving: "Alexandria/ LODGE No 39". On the obverse wall is an engraved compass superimposed over an inverted square.


Object Number

M-3881/A-B


Colors


Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save