View Larger

This glass decanter is similar in design to a set of bottles George Washington is believed to have used to store his personal supply of liquors during the Revolutionary War. Its double walled body served the practical purpose of protecting the bottles from breakage during travel, while the wheel-engraved decoration speaks to the decanter's use as an object for entertaining.

See also cases and case bottles, W-187/1-6, A-K, and W-188/A-G and W-1591/A-F.


Colorless glass case bottle; half-post dip-molded rectangular body with rounded corners, horizontal shoulders, and a cylindrical neck terminating in a rounded trail string rim; engraved decoration on the shoulders, face, rear, and sides of the bottle: series of dots along the shoulders with a circular flower and leaves at each corner; five petaled flower bud with six lobed leaves on the face and rear; a stylized flower blossom with leaves on the sides; unground pontil mark on base.







Overall: 8 15/16 in. x 4 3/16 in. x 3 1/8 in. (22.7 cm x 10.64 cm x 7.94 cm)

Credit Line

Gift of Mrs. Henry Norris Platt, Vice Regent for Pennsylvania, in memory of her mother Mrs. Jefferson Randolph Anderson and her grandmother Mrs. Joseph John Wilder former Vice Regents for Georgia,1959

Object Number


Colors (Beta)

Mount Vernon's object research is ongoing and information about this object is subject to change. For information on image use and reproductions, click here.
Buy Tickets What to See Calendar Shop Restaurant Donate Membership
Estate Hours

Open today from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

iconDirections & Parking
buy tickets online & save