Teachers will have the opportunity to:
• Examine the character and accomplishments of George Washington while living on his 18th-century estate.
• Engage in active discussion of 18th century history with Dr. Denver Brunsman, Assistant Professor of History, The George Washington University.
• Explore Mount Vernon through interactive workshops, tours, and group projects.
• Discuss how to integrate teaching history into English, Science, Math and Geography curricula in accordance with current education standards.
• Return to your classroom with new knowledge, teaching materials and enthusiasm to share with your colleagues and students.
All teachers accepted into the institute will receive a travel stipend and reside on the grounds of Washington's home. Participants are required to complete project for dissemination to teachers across the nation on the Mount Vernon website, and perform one in-service session for colleagues in their home district or state.