Recipe courtesy of American Heritage Chocolate®, Historic Division of Mars.
Try American Heritage Chocolate
Enjoy the flavor and aroma of rich, full bodied and real hot chocolate the way George Washington would have enjoyed it. This all-natural, preservative free product is fashioned from an 18th century recipe using cinnamon, nutmeg and red pepper.
One 5 oz. American Heritage Chocolate Block
1.5 oz. American Heritage Finely Grated Chocolate Drink
1 quart of whole milk
6 large eggs
1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of sugar
1. Grate the chocolate bar into a bowl. Add entire contents of the chocolate drink package, and set aside.
2. Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Save the whites for another recipe.
3. Split the vanilla bean in half down the entire length of the pod and scrape out the seeds from both halves. Put the seeds and scraped pods into the milk.
4. Pour all the milk and the chocolate into a sauce pan and heat to a boil, stirring continuously. Add the sugar and cook until both the sugar and the chocolate are melted.
5. Take a quarter of a cup of the hot mixture and slowly add to the egg yolks, stirring constantly with a whisk to prevent scrambling.
6. Stir the warmed egg yolk mixture into the sauce pan and bring all the ingredients to a boil for about a minute or until slightly thickened. Strain the hot custard through a sieve into another bowl. Set aside and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
7. Cover and refrigerate the mixture for 4 hours or overnight. Freeze the cooled chocolate mixture in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Have You Made This?
Let us know how your recipe turned out