A primary source worksheet for students focused on close reading skills. Students compare how both George and Martha Washington felt about General Washington becoming the first President of the United States. This lesson builds on the George Washington's Letter to Henry Knox about the Presidency and Martha Washington's Letter about the Presidency worksheets which should be completed prior to beginning this worksheet. This resource was created by 2015-2016 Life Guard Teacher Fellow Marcia Motter.
- Students will compare and contrast George and Martha Washington's thoughts on the presidency.
- Students will create and defend a thesis statement.
- Students will practice using historical thinking skills to support their thesis statement using evidence from the document to support their conclusions.
- Reading and Writing Literacy in History/Social Studies
- Reading Informational Texts
- Reading for Perspective
- Compare and Contrast
- Writing Skills
- Developing Research Skills
- Revolution and the New Nation
Students should complete both the George Washington's Letter to Henry Knox about the Presidency and Martha Washington's Letter about the Presidency worksheets before starting this worksheet.